Where is

MAP OF THE PROVINCE

Organize your holiday

 archeology
 art and culture
 sea
 monuments and museums
 nature
 typical dishes and products
 sports and wellness
 tradition and religion

mobile

Visit the mobile version of the portal optimized for iPhone and Android

Twitter

Follow us on Twitter
Lascia un feedback per questo contenuto (en)

CATTEDRALE

 
Cathedral

Dedicated to SS. Salvatore, it was built on Count Ruggero’s wishes between 1088 and 1093, in the place where, legend has it, that a grave danger occurred during the conquest of the city, but it is more likely that it is on the place where the mosque-cathedral was. Restored and renovated over the course of the centuries, today it has a baroque appearance. From the original Normans church remain parts of the walls of the transept and the external structure of the apse, with inserted blind arches. On the façade, there is a baroque doorway with a sixteenth century high-relief above it, depicting Count Ruggero on his horse as he tramples on a Muslim. Particularly  interesting is the interior with a nave and two side aisles a triumph of decoration and works of art; from Hellenistic sarcophaguses, to works by Domenico and Antonello Gagini, and paintings by Giambecchina.

Vedi comune di appartenenza (en)