Where is

MAP OF THE PROVINCE

Organize your holiday

 archeology
 art and culture
 sea
 monuments and museums
 nature
 typical dishes and products
 sports and wellness
 tradition and religion

mobile

Visit the mobile version of the portal optimized for iPhone and Android

Twitter

Follow us on Twitter
Lascia un feedback per questo contenuto (en)

CHIESA DI SAN FRANCESCO D'ASSISI

 
Church of San Francesco d’Assisi

The complex formed by the church and the convent of San Francesco d’Assisi gives its name to the extremely Islamic quarter with its twisting alleyways and courtyards. The church, initially dedicated to  San Biagio in Norman times, underwent a renovation of the façade in 1216 and the addition of the convent the second francescano convent in Sicily; baroque times (1680) it was again restructured and enriched with fine stuccoes and paintings which completely cover the internal walls, wall hangings and the vault with sacred and profane subjects. Worth noting it the eighteenth century doorway which contains a circle with the La Stigmatizzazione di San Francesco, by Francesco Incrivaglia (1730).

Vedi comune di appartenenza (en)