Where is

MAP OF THE PROVINCE

Organize your holiday

 archeology
 art and culture
 sea
 monuments and museums
 nature
 typical dishes and products
 sports and wellness
 tradition and religion

mobile

Visit the mobile version of the portal optimized for iPhone and Android

Twitter

Follow us on Twitter
Lascia un feedback per questo contenuto (en)

RUDERI DELLA MATRICE

 
Ruins of the Mother Church

In the site where the Mother Church stood, it is presumed that a chapel already existed in the XII Century, later transformed into a church, documented in, 1436 and dedicated to Santa Caterina of Alessandria, to whom the Paruta family were extremely devoted. In 1610 in the same place, work began on the construction of a new Mother Church, which continued until 1762 , the year in which it was reopened: in the basilica plan type with a nave and two side aisles, divided by pilasters, a transept and high cupola. It had a very slim façade in the southern part, typical of the best examples of Sicilian Baroque. 

Vedi comune di appartenenza (en)