Where is

MAP OF THE PROVINCE

Organize your holiday

 archeology
 art and culture
 sea
 monuments and museums
 nature
 typical dishes and products
 sports and wellness
 tradition and religion

mobile

Visit the mobile version of the portal optimized for iPhone and Android

Twitter

Follow us on Twitter
Lascia un feedback per questo contenuto (en)

CHIESA MADRE E CAMPANILE

 
  • Mother Church
  • Mother Church
Mother Church

Built in 1314, by the will of Frederick III of Aragon, it was dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. The pronaos also called “Gibbena” that means (AGE BENE) which means behave well, was added in 1426 by the archpriest Militari to host the public penitents who came to pay for their grave sins. The  interior in Neo Gothic style were redone in the 19th century and preserve precious evidence of painted artworks, sculptures and artisanship attributed to famous artist such as Domenico Gagini, Giuliano Mancino and others. The bell tower was originally a  lookout tower during the wars of the Sicilian Vespers in the thirteenth century.

Vedi comune di appartenenza (en)