Organize your holiday

 archeology
 art and culture
 sea
 monuments and museums
 nature
 typical dishes and products
 sports and wellness
 tradition and religion

mobile

Visit the mobile version of the portal optimized for iPhone and Android

Twitter

Follow us on Twitter
Lascia un feedback per questo contenuto (en)

CHIESA DEL PURGATORIO

 
  • Church of Purgatorio (Purgatory)
  • Church of Purgatorio (Purgatory)
Church of Purgatorio (Purgatory)

The docked façade of the Chiesa di Purgatorio shows the destruction of Partanna, after the earthquake of 1968, when a large part of the monumental patrimony was inexplicably demolished (1969).
On the site there is an Arab watch tower, made into the bell tower (XIV century), of a church dedicated to San Vito, patron saint of the town, and then to SS. Salvatore, which carried out the function of Mother church until 1625. Between 1722 and 1778 it was rebuilt and due to its architectural peculiarities, was considered la più bella dopo la Matrice - the most beautiful after the Mother Church. It’s demolition radically changed its scenic relationship with the castle.

Vedi comune di appartenenza (en)