Where is

MAP OF THE PROVINCE

Organize your holiday

 archeology
 art and culture
 sea
 monuments and museums
 nature
 typical dishes and products
 sports and wellness
 tradition and religion

mobile

Visit the mobile version of the portal optimized for iPhone and Android

Twitter

Follow us on Twitter
Lascia un feedback per questo contenuto (en)

CHIESA DI SAN DOMENICO E CONVENTO

 
The San Domenico church and convent

Wished for in 1470 by Gian Vincenzo Tagliavia, the first count of  Castelvetrano, it was completed in 1580 by don Carlo who made it into a burial place for his family. Externally simple, it has an interior which is surprisingly sumptuous, with a presbytery and choir decorated with frescoes, high reliefs and stucco statues celebrating the coming of the Messiah, work by modeller and mannerist  Antonino Ferraro da Giuliana who, between 1574 and 1580, developed the theme in an almost Baroque style. The plastic representation of the Albero di Jesse- Jesse’s Tree, in the triumphal arch is rare and magnificent. The church was connected to the Domenican convent (today’s Liceo Classico- high school for classic studies).

Vedi comune di appartenenza (en)